Whether you’re by the coast or in the country, visiting friends and family, watching the cricket or doing a whole lot of nothing, the holiday season is full of joy.
Most families are brought together over shared meals, often traditional family recipes and special delicacies saved for this very special time of the year. With this in mind, we wanted to share a recipe from one of our own.
Kari is one of our very talented Sales Coordinators and put forward her Christmas ham recipe to be shared. She has used this very simple recipe for many years now and testifies that whilst simple, it is absolutely delicious!
Maple & mustard glazed ham
4kg leg or shoulder ham on the bone
1x 40g packet whole cloves
125ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (heaped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a deep pan with foil.
- Use a small knife to cut around the ham shank (I go a little bit fancy and cut a pattern into it) and then run the knife under the edge of the rind.
- Run your fingers along the inside of the rind to ensure as much fat stays on the ham as possible and doesn’t come off with the rind. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, studding the centres of the diamonds with cloves, and place into the prepared pan.
- Combine the maple syrup and Dijon mustard in a small bowl and brush the ham evenly with most of the mixture. Set the remainder (about 1/3) to the side.
- Bake in the oven for one hour, basting once every 20 minutes (the first time use the remainder of the maple/Dijon mixture, followed by the pan juices) until golden brown Easy peasy!
Enjoy & Seasons Greetings.